Publications and Presentations
List of Publications
Contributor, Musician's Business And Legal Guide (revised fifth edition, 2017), Routledge, with contributed articles including:
- Business Entities.
- How to Set Up a Money Deal.
- Digital Downloads and Streaming: Copyright and Distribution Issues.
- Club Contracts.
- Recording and Distribution Contracts with Independent Labels.
- Collaborator/Songwriter Agreements.
- YouTube Music.
Co-Author, Musician's Guide to Copyright.
Contributor, How To Make And Sell Your Own Recording, by Diane Rapaport, with contributed articles including:
- Recording Contracts: Pros and Cons of Making Arrangements with a Recording Label: Distribution Deals; Pressing and Distribution (P & D) Deals; Production Deals; Duration of Contract; Royalties; Performance Sales; Foreign Sales; Recoupment of Expenses and Advances; Financial Statements; Authority to Use Your Name; Merchandising; Promotion; Publishing
- Financing: Loans; Profit Sharing; Corporate Shares; Complying with Statutes; Evaluating Investors
Samples of Presentations to Various Associations, including the American Bar Association Forum of Entertainment and Sports Law, ASCAP Music Expo, the Practising Law Institute, the San Francisco Bar Association, and California Lawyers for the Arts
- "In-Home, On-Demand, Direct Digital Delivery of Entertainment Content".
- "Issues To Be Negotiated In Recording Agreements".
- "Content Clearances For DVD Magazines".
- "Music On The Internet: Understanding New Rights And Solving New Problems".
- "Licensing Music On The Web".
- "Representing The New Media Industry" - "Music On The Internet: Special Problems And Emerging Solutions".
- "Copyright And Clearance Issues On Internet Licensing".
- "Music On The Internet: Digital Performance Rights In Sound Recordings Act And Digital Millennium Copyright Act".
- "Copyright, Clearance, And Related Issues Concerning Digitally Distributed Contents".
- "Ownership And Copyright Registration In Songs".
- "Sources Of Music Publishing Income".
- "Music Across Multi-Media Platforms" - SXSW.
- “Making Money In Music In The Digital Age” (ABA Forum – Entertainment and Sports).
- “New Music Licensing Deals: What They Mean To Publishers, Writers, Artists, Labels, and Collection Societies” (Association of Independent Music Publishers).
- "Technology and Entertainment Convergence: Music Licensing Deals and Negotiations in a Changing World" - PLI.
- "Licensing in the Digital World: Uses of Master Sound Recordings in a Digital Environment" - SF MusicTech.
- "Music Publishing Asset Protection" - ASCAP I Create Music Expo.
- "Music and Money in the Digital Marketplace" - ASCAP I Create Music Expo.
- "Licensing in Digital Media and the Mobile Marketplace" - ABA Forum on Entertainment and Sports Law.